Every time you hear about or read something and quickly think to yourself, “did the American Academy of Pediatrics really say that?” – it’s almost certainly from the American College of Pediatricians.
The names sound alike, perhaps intentionally, but the two groups couldn’t be more different.
Who are they?
The American College of Pediatricians is basically the Bizarro World version of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
The American College of Pediatricians vs American Academy of Pediatrics
Like the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, the American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds) pushes and promotes “misleading and incorrect” recommendations based on the ideology of their members, not using science and evidenced based medicine.
“…ACPeds was born from an ideological split within a profession. It was founded in 2002 as a protest against the much larger American Academy of Pediatrics’ support for LGBT adoption rights — and that opposition remains central to the group’s identity…
But thanks to its deceptive name — which makes it sound as if it is the mainstream professional organization for pediatricians — ACPeds often serves as a supposedly scientific source for groups pushing utter falsehoods about LGBT people.”
Southern Poverty Law Center on how the American College of Pediatricians Defames Gays and Lesbians in the Name of Protecting Children
That’s why most of the press releases and position statements from the ACPeds are against (while the AAP supports):
- homosexual parents
- HPV vaccination
- protecting transgender kids
- comprehensive sex education, wanting to focus instead on abstinence only sex education
- emergency contraception
- same sex marriage
Michelle A. Cretella, MD, FCP (Fellow of the College of Pediatricians), the President of the American College of Pediatricians, has even praised the book Preventing Homosexuality, calling it “an invaluable resource for parents.” She is also on the Board of Directors of the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), a group that supports reparative or conversion therapy for homosexuals.
The American College of Pediatricians goes so far as suggesting adding a ‘P’ to LGBT acronym. No, the ‘P’ wouldn’t stand for pansexual in their world – it would stand for pedophile.
“In one sense, it could be argued that the LGBT movement is only tangentially associated with pedophilia. I see that argument, but the pushers of the movement, the activists, I think have pedophilia intrinsically woven into their agenda. It is they who need to be spoken to and against.”
American College of Pediatricians Blog on “P” for Pedophile
The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds) is considered a fringe group and should never be confused with the mainstream American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP):
|200 to 500 members in just 47 states||66,000 members in 50 states, Puerto Rico, Washington D.C., and Canada|
|founded in 2002||founded in 1930|
|makes claims against vaccines||supports vaccinating and protecting kids|
|supports corporal punishment by parents||opposes spanking|
|designated as a hate group||not a hate group|
|“The American College of Pediatricians promotes a society where all children, from the moment of their conception, are valued unselfishly. We encourage mothers, fathers and families to advance the needs of their children above their own. We expect societal forces to support the two-parent, father-mother family unit and provide for children role models of ethical character and responsible behavior.”||“The American Academy of Pediatrics is dedicated to the principle of a meaningful and healthy life for every child. As an organization of physicians who care for infants, children, adolescents, and young adults, the Academy seeks to promote this goal by encouraging and assisting its members in their efforts to meet the overall health needs of children and youth; by providing support and counsel to others concerned with the well-being of children, their growth and development; and by serving as an advocate for children and their families within the community at large.”|
Yes, the American College of Pediatricians is actually considered an active hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center!
What to Know About the American College of Pediatricians
A fringe group of pediatricians, the American College of Pediatricians promotes misleading information based on the ideology of their very small group of members.
More About the American College of Pediatricians
- Small Pediatricians Group Promotes Ideology, Not Evidence
- American College of Pediatricians Defames Gays and Lesbians in the Name of Protecting Children
- Hate Group Leader: “I’m a Pediatrician. How Transgender Ideology …”
- When Doctors Refuse to Treat LGBT Patients
- Students Have ‘Dismaying’ Inability To Tell Fake News From Real, Study Finds
- Speaking of bad science, never trust the American College of Pediatricians
- Gardasil harms girls says American College of Pediatricians
- American Pediatricians Issue Statement That Transgenderism Is ‘Child Abuse’?
- Is ‘anti-gay therapist’ Dr. Cretella a therapist or not?
- The American College of Pediatricians Is an Anti-LGBT Group
- The Religious Right’s Favorite Medical Association Is a Hate Group
- Meet the Anti-LGBT Hate Group that Filed an Amicus Brief with the Alabama Supreme Court
- The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons: Ideology trumps science-based medicine
- Hate Group Masquerades as Pediatrics Organization to Attack Trans KidsHate Group Masquerades as Pediatrics Organization to Attack Trans Kids
- American College of Pediatricians is a Questionable Source
- Tucker Carlson teams with hate group to spread junk science about transgender kids
- Fake Think Tanks Fuel Fake News—And the President’s Tweets
- Information and Misinformation on Gender Dysphoria from Wallbuilders and the American College of Pediatricians, Part One
- American College of Pediatricians answers critics; removes Rekers
- Why we should ignore the American College of Pediatricians (and Miranda Devine)
- Campus Responds to Scheduled Dr. Michelle Cretella Lecture